IEEE is the world’s largest professional association dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities.
IEEE, pronounced “Eye-triple-E”, stands for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. The association is chartered under this name and it is the full legal name.
- more than 430,000 members in more than 160 countries, more than 50 percent of whom are from outside the United States;
- more than 120,000 Student members;
- 333 sections in ten geographic regions worldwide;
- 2,231 chapters that unite local members with similar technical interests;
- 2,516 student branches at colleges and universities in 80 countries;
- 790 student branch chapters of IEEE technical societies;
- 432 affinity groups – IEEE Affinity Groups are non-technical sub-units of one or more Sections or a Council. The Affinity Group patent entities are the IEEE-USA Consultants’ Network, Graduates of the Last Decade Young Professionals (YP), Women in Engineering (WIE), and Life Members (LM).
- has 38 societies and 7 technical councils representing the wide range of IEEE technical interests;
- has more than three million documents in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library with more than eight million downloads each month;
- has more than 1,500 standards and projects under development;
- publishes more than 148 transactions, journals and magazines;
- sponsors more than 1,300 conferences in 81 countries while:
- partnering with more than 1,100 non-IEEE entities globally;
- attracting more than 387,000 conference attendees; and
- publishing more than 1,300 conference proceedings via IEEE Xplore.
* – Data current as of 31 December 2013. This information is updated annually.